Tuesday, November 01, 2005

BET: 25 Years

Tonight, I sit here watching BET's 25th Anniversary Celebration, and there is certainly much to celebrate.
Growing up, my family never had cable, so the only chance to see BET was at someone else's house, and most of what I saw was music videos.
As I got older, I began to appreciate the other aspects of BET, things such as Lead Story and Teen Summit. These were places where issues important to black people were discussed, and to see that was empowering.
So it is depressing for me to see how far BET has fallen over the years, to see shows such as Lead Story and Teen Summit and BET Nightly News fall by the wayside and replaced by videos and little original programming.
Yes, there is the reality that BET has to make money, and I sincerely hope that the leadership by Reginald Hudlin will turn things around.
Still, watching this celebration only reminds me of what BET used to be and the potential of what it could be.

No comments: