Sunday, January 03, 2016

Losing My Religion

I stopped going to church 10 months ago and haven't been back since. I don't have many regrets, except that it took me so long to leave. It's one of the biggest changes I made last year.
For so long, attending church was something I did, without fail, every Sunday. I sang in the choir and attended Bible study. And those years I went to church, I strengthened my faith. I had something to hold onto when life got dark and I couldn't find the light switch. Church reminded me that the storm wasn't going to last long and that joy came in the midnight hour.
I needed that mustard-seed faith. It was then, when I was at my lowest, I was able to pull myself out of the deep end of the pool.
And even though I don't go to church, I believe in God. I believe in a God who performs miracles and who exemplifies love in the grandest sense of the word. I chose to believe that love conquers hate and that though the world appears clogged with evil, good still flourishes; you just have to see it.
But despite everything I got from going to church, I ignored too long this feeling in my spirit that this no longer fit who I wanted to be and the values I wanted to reflect. I wasn't being me.
I was pretending. I was performing what I thought was Christianity. I was doing all of these things to assauge guilt and fulfill some obligation.
And somewhere along the way, I lost sight of God.
To be more exact, I didn't see God in church. I felt ashamed. The theology I heard was exclusive and not inclusive. And I couldn't pretend that I agreed with it anymore.
I left and never looked back, even though I still have friends there I love and respect and cherish.
Every now and then, I run into people who ask why I haven't been to church in awhile. I don't say much. I evade the question in a way because I really don't want to explain. I don't want get into a long and drawn-out discussion. I left and that's all there is to say.
But obviously that isn't all there is to say.
I know I believe in God. Am I a Christian? I can't say. I'm trying to figure it all out. I'm asking questions of myself about what I really believe.
Will I go back to church? I don't know. I'm walking the path day by day and seeing where it will take me. I'm trying to trust this process of getting to a more holistic truth.
I figure it is better to get lost than to be stuck in a place that doesn't feel like home anymore, doesn't feel like you anymore.
I have a feeling I'll find my way out soon.

1 comment:

tanya sweet said...

First of all i am saying that i like your post very much.I am really impressed by the way in which you presented the content and also the structure of the post. Hope you can gave us more posts like this and i really appreciate your hardwork.

valentine week list 2018
Whatsapp Status
Good Night Images
Happy Birthday Wishes
Happy New Year 2017
Valentine Week List 2017